Appointment of new Chief Executive, Singapore Land Authority
16 Mar 2009 Posted in Press releases
- Mr Vincent Hoong Seng Lei will be assuming the appointment as Chief Executive (CE) of the Singapore Land Authority (SLA) with effect from 1 May 2009.
- Mr Hoong will take over from Mr Lam Joon Khoi, who has served as SLA’s Chief Executive since 1 May 2005. Mr Lam will be posted to the Ministry of Environment and Water Resources as Deputy Secretary.
- Mr Vincent Hoong, 51, graduated from the National University of Singapore in 1982 with a Bachelor of Law (Hons) (2nd Class Upper Division). After a short stint in private practice, Mr Hoong joined the Singapore Legal Service in April 1984 and was posted to the Subordinate Courts, Judiciary, initially as a magistrate and subsequently as a district judge. In 1997, he was posted to the former Singapore Land Registry at the Ministry of Law. In June 2001, he was seconded to the then newly-formed statutory board, SLA, as the Deputy Chief Executive and concurrently the Registrar of Titles & Deeds, Controller of Residential Property. In August 2002, he was also concurrently appointed the Commissioner of Lands. Mr Hoong is also a member of the Preservation of Monuments Board.
- Under Mr Lam’s leadership, SLA embarked on several programmes and initiatives to realise SLA’s vision to become a world-class land authority. These include the launch of a national geospatial data infrastructure initiative (SG-SPACE), the development of an integrated land registration system and optimising the use of state land and properties. He has also strengthened SLA’s business processes and responsiveness to its customers and introduced numerous pro-enterprise measures to minimise business and compliance costs.
- Brief write-ups of Mr Lam and Mr Hoong are given at the Annex.
Mr Lam Joon Khoi
Mr Lam Joon Khoi, 50, is Chief Executive of Singapore Land Authority (SLA) since 1 May 2005. He graduated with a First Class BA(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering from Imperial College of Science & Technology, University of London. He also acquired a Masters degree in Management Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in USA. He was appointed to the Administrative Service on 2 June 1993. Mr Lam was awarded the Public Administration Medal (Silver) (Military) in 1996.
Over the past years at SLA, Mr Lam and his team had converted a number of State properties and put them to a range of uses for the hospitality, tourism, education, social and commercial sectors. Besides land administration, Mr Lam also spearheaded the national spatial data infrastructure project. Under his leadership, SLA developed a common online map portal, www.map.gov.sg, a free gateway to government maps, which included free public access to street directory and land ownership information. He also championed the development of Singapore Satellite Positioning Reference Network (SiReNT), a nation-wide GPS reference station network infrastructure developed to support various positioning businesses and industries.
Mr Lam is currently a Board Director of Singapore Technologies Aerospace Ltd and a Board Member of the SLA. Prior to his appointment as CE of SLA, Mr Lam was the first CEO of the National Environment Agency. His diverse background includes various postings in Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Defence and the Singapore Armed Forces.
Mr Lam is married with three children.
Mr Vincent Hoong
Mr Vincent Hoong, 51, is a lawyer by training. He graduated from the National University of Singapore in 1982 with a Bachelor of Laws (Second Class Upper Division Honours). He was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1983. He had a short stint in private practice before joining the Singapore Government’s Legal Service in 1984. He held various judicial appointments in the Supreme and Subordinate Courts before being re-posted in 1997 to the Singapore Land Registry (SLR), a department of the Ministry of Law. He was subsequently seconded to SLA in 2001 when the SLR was merged with other Ministry of Law departments and corporatised to become SLA.
He is currently the Deputy Chief Executive of SLA, a post he has held since 2002. He also holds the statutory appointments of Commissioner of Lands, Registrar of Titles & Deeds and Controller of Residential Property. Mr Hoong also chairs two key committees, charged with establishing a national geospatial infrastructure for Singapore by which all public sector agencies will be able to share and use spatial data in their policy formulation, strategic and operational planning.
Mr Hoong is also a member of the Singapore Academy of Law’s LAWNET Management Committee. He is also active in the post-graduate education of law graduates through his work as a Consultant to the Practice Law Course conducted by the Board of Legal Education. He additionally serves as a member of the Preservation of Monuments Board. Mr Hoong received the National Day Public Administration Medal (Silver) in 2002 and the Long Service Medal in 2007.
Mr Hoong is married with one daughter.
Last updated on 26 Nov 2012