13 Sep 2010 Posted in Speeches
Mr Quek Tong Boon, Chairman of IPOS,
Ms Liew Woon Yin, Director-General of IPOS,
Mr Tan Yee Kan, Principal of Yishun Town Secondary School,
Teachers and students,
Ladies and gentlemen,
- It gives me great pleasure to be here this morning to launch The Originals HIP Adventure. HIP Alliance is IPOS’ key public education initiative to engage the public on Intellectual Property, or “I-P” for short. This concept bus exhibit represents HIP Alliance’s latest efforts to groom young Singaporeans into IP-savvy individuals.
IP Rights Infringement Poses a Threat to Creativity
- You may not be aware but IP is an integral part of our everyday lives. From the clothes we wear to the games we play; the movies we watch to the songs we listen to, they are all powered by IP.
- Each of these works starts off as an idea which is the precious fruits of labour of a creative mind. These ideas are IP.
- So why do we need to protect IP?
- Imagine if you are the creator of such a work. You have invested time, effort and money, and your product is finally complete. Would you like your product to be used without your permission? This is where IP protection comes in. It helps to ensure that inventors or creators are rewarded for their work and inspire them to create more things for all of us to enjoy.
- Today, the Internet has given us greater access to these materials. At a click of a mouse, we can share, download, or stream videos, games and MP3 songs.
- This convenience, however, also has its downside. Many of these materials have been placed online without the knowledge of its creators. By accessing and sharing such works without the authorisation of the creators, users may unknowingly be infringing IP rights.
- So how can you, as a user of the Internet, avoid infringing IP rights?
Launch of The Originals HIP Adventure
- That is the purpose of the concept bus exhibit.
- Through the interactive displays and attractive exhibits, you can learn about the forms, functions and importance of IP. You will be able to get hands-on experience with IP learning at the X-box kiosk and iPad game booth. On top of that, there are exhibits that will teach you to differentiate authentic products from their fake counterparts.
- Most importantly, The Originals HIP Adventure will offer the public a chance to go one step further in making their personal commitment to honour IP through a pledge activity.
- Following the launch, The Originals HIP Adventure will embark on its four-month journey to more than 100 schools and public community spaces island-wide. It is my hope that Singaporeans will come forth enthusiastically with an outpouring of pledges, because that will be an affirmation of your commitment towards protecting originality and creativity.
- Before I end, I would like to take this opportunity to thank our valued partner - Recording Industry Association (Singapore) (RIAS); and supporting partners - Adidas Singapore, Bandai South Asia and Microsoft, for their generous support.
- In closing, I trust that everyone present today will have an enjoyable time exploring The Originals HIP Adventure, and gain a deeper appreciation for IP.
- I wish all of you a pleasant day ahead. Thank you.
Last updated on 25 Nov 2012