Extended Coverage of MinLaw COVID-19 (Wedding) Mediation Programme
29 Jul 2021 Posted in Press releases
- The Ministry of Law (“MinLaw”) has extended the coverage of the MinLaw COVID-19 (Wedding) Mediation Programme (“the Programme”), which provides free mediation for parties to wedding contracts (i.e. wedding couples and vendors) affected by recent COVID-19 restrictions. Wedding events scheduled between 31 July 2021 and 30 September 2021 will now be covered by the Programme.
- In response to several growing COVID-19 clusters and a rise in COVID-19 community cases, the Multi-Ministry Taskforce has tightened community safe management measures from 22 July 2021 to 18 August 2021. This has reduced the permissible capacity for wedding solemnisations and receptions.
- To facilitate the settlement of disputes between wedding couples and vendors arising from the latest restrictions, the Programme will now cover wedding events scheduled between 8 May 2021 and 30 September 2021 (instead of 31 July 2021 originally). Eligible parties may submit their request for mediation and a copy of the contract to MinLaw, by 31 October 2021 at the latest (instead of 10 September 2021 originally). If both parties agree to mediate, a neutral, trained mediator will facilitate the mediation in a non-adversarial and confidential setting. The mediator will help parties work towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- We recognise that the COVID-19 measures have had a significant impact on the wedding industry, including wedding couples and vendors. MinLaw strongly encourages eligible parties to consider mediation, participate in the Programme with an open mind, and be receptive to working out a mutually acceptable solution.
- More details on the Programme are available at https://www.go.gov.sg/mediation-programme.
MINISTRY OF LAW
29 July 2021
Last updated on 29 July 2021