Singapore and Shanghai Sign a MOU to Deepen Legal Cooperation through Exchange Programmes for Lawyers
24 April 2023 Posted in Press releases
- Singapore and Shanghai have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to implement exchange programmes for lawyers to facilitate knowledge exchange and promote the understanding of the business environment and culture between the two cities. This was announced by Minister for Culture, Community and Youth and Second Minister for Law Mr Edwin Tong SC at the 4th Singapore-Shanghai Comprehensive Cooperation Council meeting today.
- Under the MOU signed by Singapore’s Ministry of Law (MinLaw), Shanghai Municipal Bureau of Justice, The Law Society of Singapore, and Shanghai Bar Association, Singapore and Shanghai will work together to host attachments and study visits for lawyers from both sides. Through the exchange programmes, these lawyers can widen their networks, share knowledge and best practices, and better understand the business environment and culture of their host city.
- The MOU on Singapore-Shanghai Lawyers Exchange Programmes was signed by the following representatives in a virtual signing ceremony on 19 April 2023:
Ms Sharon Ong, Director-General (International & Advisory), MinLaw;
Mr Wu Jianyong, Director-General, Shanghai Municipal Bureau of Justice;
Ms Lisa Sam, Vice-President, The Law Society of Singapore; and
Mr Ji Nuo, President, Shanghai Bar Association.
- Commenting on the MOU, Ms Ong said, “This partnership is a testament to the strong legal cooperation Singapore and Shanghai enjoy. We are confident that lawyers on the exchange programmes will find the insights and the networks gained beneficial when supporting their clients. The Singapore Ministry of Law is committed to working with the Law Society and our Shanghai counterparts to make these programmes a success.”
- Mr Wu said, “The signing of this MOU is an important move to deepen the cooperation and exchange in the area of legal services between Shanghai and Singapore. We hope that colleagues in the legal profession in Shanghai and Singapore will seize this opportunity to actively promote the mutual promotion of legal services, legal systems and rule of law experience in the two places.”
MINISTRY OF LAW
24 APRIL 2023
Last updated on 24 April 2023