10 Jan 2011 Posted in Press releases
- In the sitting of Parliament on 10 January 2011, the Ministry of Law (MinLaw) introduced the Legal Profession (Amendment) Bill 2011. The Bill contains amendments to the Legal Profession Act (LPA) and the Singapore Academy of Law Act (SAL Act) to, amongst other things:
- Establish the Singapore Institute of Legal Education;
- Establish a Foreign Practitioner Examination and the regulatory framework for Foreign Practitioner Certificate holders; and
- Streamline and enhance the legislative and procedural framework for admission to the Singapore Bar.
- The Bill was earlier posted on MinLaw’s website for public consultation. Key stakeholder agencies including the Supreme Court, the Attorney-General’s Chambers, the Singapore Academy of Law and the Law Society, have also been consulted and their inputs have been taken into consideration in finalising the Bill.
- The key aspects of each of the amendments in paragraph 1 above are set out in the three fact sheets below (please see attachments).
- Fact Sheet 1 - Singapore Institute of Legal Education (SILE) (0.02MB)
- Fact Sheet 2 - Foreign Practitioner Examination (0.02MB)
- Fact Sheet 3 - Admissions framework (0.02MB)
Last updated on 25 Nov 2012