Review of the Regulatory Framework for Law Practices and Collaborations in Singapore
4 September 2023 Posted in Press releases
- A new Committee has been established to review the regulatory framework for law practices and collaborations in Singapore.
- The Committee will be chaired by Mr Lucien Wong SC, the Attorney-General of Singapore, and will comprise stakeholders including the Law Society of Singapore and legal practitioners from both Singapore and foreign law practice entities.
- MinLaw regularly reviews Singapore’s strategic legal needs as well as the regulatory framework of the legal services sector.
- Singapore’s legal services sector has evolved since it was first liberalised following the recommendations of the Legal Services Review Committee, which was formed in 1997. The legal landscape is vastly different now – clients’ needs have evolved, new practice areas have emerged, and the way in which legal services are procured and delivered has changed.
- The Committee will therefore examine related matters under the following parameters:
a. To review the extent to which the current regulatory framework for law practices in Singapore and collaborations among them has met its original objectives; and
b. To recommend any changes to the regulatory framework, taking into account developments and trends in legal services and the future needs of Singapore.
MINISTRY OF LAW
4 September 2023
Last updated on 4 September 2023